February 5, 2009
Update: In an entire week I have gone to bed every night with an empty sink. I even removed the tape a few days ago. Some may not understand how happy this makes me but if you have ever struggled with dishes and have a large family, you know this is no small feat!






Not naming any names but some people in my house keep filling up my sink with dirty dishes. Honestly, I will fill the dishwasher at night and somehow by the next morning the sink is full. And what really bugs me is that they don't rinse them out so the water or whatever is in the sink is gross. I have just about given up and just trying to ignore it but...yesterday I was feeling particularly overwhelmed with my household responsibilities (that I don't feel like doing) when I decided to go online. Why not? I go there for so many other answers.... I had heard of a household cleaning schedule and thought maybe that would help me. I googled house cleaning schedule (yeah I'm so overwhelmed I cannot do my own list-it may be important to note that we also just doubled our square feet when we moved and the number of bathrooms!-oh wait that has nothing to do with the sink we still just have one of those-thank goodness). I looked around for a few minutes and then stumbled upon The Fly Lady.

Getting Started: A Shiny Sink (well that sounded like a great start for me). I laughed at the sight and it's silly video but I tried it. I cleaned out my sink, took long strips of blue painters tape and stretched it across and put a sign that said NO DISHES IN THE SINK!! It has been almost 24 hours and there are still no dishes in my sink... I am encouraged! It has forced me and my crew to put those dishes somewhere else. (her suggestion is to put a container under the sink for rinsed out dishes to go in-I am going looking today!or of course if the dishwasher is empty put them there)

Next up: figuring out how to keep my crew from using 100+ cups a day, apparently a new cup for each sip!
Disclaimer: that is not my sink BUT it has been known to look just like it!

4 people joined the party:

lindler5 said...

i was wondering (if that was your sink) how you found the time to bake!j

the flylady is awesome. one day, i WILL heed the 15 minute boogie.

Sarah said...

Each of our children have a water bottle that we keep in the fridge and wash every couple of days. This helps tremendously with the number of cups to wash.
Blessings,
Sarah

Mir said...

Love the Fly Lady. We live by 15 minute intervals. Since I work online, my calendar pops up with my 15 minute reminders throughout the day. I only actually do an hour of work, but split into 4 15 minute sessions, it doesn't seem so bad.

Also, we do the 15 minute sprint clean at the end of the day. After dinner, and before bed, everyone cleans for 15 minutes. We start downstairs, and if that's done, we do upstairs. When the timer goes off, dessert is handed out. It's amazing how much get cleans up in those 15 minutes with everyone pitching in.

Jennifer O'Cain said...

I am sticking with Fly Lady 48 hours later my sink is still EMPTY!!

Sarah, tHAT is a great idea, so simple but great I may take them tonight to pick out there own bottle!