January 31, 2009
Today I found a blog. This family adopted an 8 year old from China and have been home with her for less than 2 months. Tonight I sat down and read their story in one sitting. There are plenty of people out there adopting babies and toddlers but finding a story to follow like this has been hard to find. Everyday John and I worry about attachment and how we are going to communicate and interact with Lily. Will she let us hold her? hold hands? Will she show us affection and when? We think about this a lot especially with the reality now that we are so close to going to China. I engulfed this blog because it was candid and honest and it has helped me to see what our experience may be like. I know we will have struggles and I know we will have setbacks but I know without a doubt that we will be blessed. That adopting this child will change us forever. I know that no matter what she is our daughter, I feel so strongly that God handpicked her just for us and I haven't even met her! I trust him that much. Please pray for us. For Lily and all that she will have to mourn when she leaves China and for our attachment and bonding as a family. We are getting so close.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Meet our Bunch!
About Me
""...once our eyes are opened,we can't pretend we don't know what to do. God,who weighs our hearts and keeps our souls, knows that we know,and holds us responsible to act."(Proverbs 24:12)

6 people joined the party:
We adopted our daughter, Yana, when she was 7 years old. How old is your Lily (we also have a Lily)? We adopted Grace 4 months ago at 4 years old (from China) and also have Jadon (adopted at 2 years), Lily (adopted at 11 months), and Adam (who is homegrown).
Blessings to you!
Sarah
Lily is 7, her birthday is 9-21-01
How old is your Lily?
Hi Jennifer! Thank you for your kind words! I am very excited for you, your family and your new daughter Lily! Older child adoption has gone very well for us- we are amazed at the resiliency of these children and their incredible response to love and a family. It took a little time but not to long. I read the "adopting the hurt child", "parenting the hurt child" and "the connected child", "attaching in adoption" and "the weavers craft- toddler adoption"- not every word of all of them but a lot of each- the first 3 I liked the best BUT remember they give you the worse case scenarios- everything has gone much better for us but having read them really helped! e-mail me anytime- jmulva3@aol.com
blessings,
Jean
Jennifer,
Our Lily is 8 years old. Her birthday is 9-20-00, so she is almost exactly a year older than your Lily. Our son, Jadon is 7 and is 6 months older than your Lily.
As far as girly books go, just look for princesses, ballerinas, fairies, pandas and unicorns. I don't think that you can go wrong with any of these!!
Blessings to you. I'd love to be able to visit your "Lily" blog.
Sarah
Oh my gosh! Lily is Austen's age. Austen was born in July of '01. I didn't realize you were adopting a little girl that old. It seems like that's a perfect age for your family, though!
We'll keep her in our prayers and hope that her transition is just as smooth as it can be!!
David and Sarah, if you email me your address I will invite you. I am also in the process of a site on My Adoption Website so everyone can keep up with us while in China!
My email address is theocaincrew@aol.com