February 5, 2010

The Sound of Music is one of my favorite movies of all time. I can remember when I was a kid wanting to stay up and watch the whole movie but would often go to sleep right after the children sang the night of the party. My favorite part of the whole movie was when the littlest Van Tropp sang goodnight as she went up the stairs. I thought she was possibly the cutest little girl ever. I'm not sure if I even knew the end of the movie until I was much older. I remember thinking as a kid why don't they play this movie on a night when I can stay up instead of a school night?


Call me a dork but I can remember in college when my friends and I would play a Sound of Music cassette and dance around our dorm room. You may even find me bursting out in song at work when I am working with fellow Sound of Music fans or not. I even just put the entire soundtrack on my iPod. I plug it into to my car stereo and seriously jam to some Sound of Music tunes super loud! I just can't listen to this music and not be happy. Nowadays you don't even have to anticipate when it will be on TV to see it. You can watch it whenever you want to on DVD, and I do. One of the first movies Lily ever watched once home was Sound of Music, we watched it while we cleaned the bonus room together. She had no idea what they were saying but she didn't need to, to love it and she apparently does. Just the other night she saw the preview for the Sound Of Music coming on TV Sunday night. Her face lit up and she got all excited and said, "momma I lika that movie, I want to see that". I am so excited that she loves this movie and I imagine many bonding moments over popcorn and a little Sound of Music through the years. Even though we can watch it anytime commercial free we may just watch it Sunday night, I'm not into NFL anyway. Who knows I may even let her stay up past my favorite part. I'm in the mood for a little Do a Deer a female deer....




3 people joined the party:

Dusty and Zoey go west! said...

This is and always has been one of my favorite movies and soundtracks. Your post brought back memories of the first time I ever saw the movie. Your Mother and I were on a date (1965) and went to see the movie in one of the theaters down-town. It was the first time that I had ever been to a movie where the audience applauded at the end. It played at the same theater for 4 or 5 months. It was always special watching it on television as a family and it is special that you now enjoy it with your family. I'm sorry if we never let you see the end of the movie.

In a world that is filled with bad news everyday, it is great to still have a wholesome movie with happy tunes and a happy ending. Thanks for reminding me of that special time.
Love you,
Dad

Sarah said...

So fun! I love this movie, too! I sang a lot of the songs to my kids when I was rocking them as babies. We have a beautiful picture book of "My Favorite Things."

Blessings,
Sarah

Sharon said...

That is so sweet! I hope she loved it just as much this time! :)