December 2, 2011
Today we traveled from Nanning to Guangzhou. The entire experience was extremely stressful and by far it has been our most difficult day. We started out by getting up very early so we could leave our hotel by 7:30. Ellery was not used to getting up this early and we were all tired. Throughout the day she has shown that she highly seeks independence in tasks (when its not always appropriate), is stubborn and quite obstinate at times. She had several melt downs today. One was in the middle of the Nanning airport. If you can just imagine two bleary eyed Americans in a airport  lugging a ton of luggage and trying to carry a screaming, crying little Chinese girl. I bet we were quite the sight! You can just tell by the stares that they are wondering what we are doing with her. Strangely most Chinese do not even know about the international adoption program. She also is reaching out to just about anyone Chinese who will look at her, I swear I think she would go with anyone right now, shows me just how much progress we have yet to go. She is not scared of strangers (just another thing wrong on her referral-they also said she slept poorly, loved congee and she has proven those wrong to). I can take the screaming, the pushing us away and everything else but it pains me to see her reach her arms up to a complete stranger. I know this will change but the process to bonding and attachment has very hard times. I long to be at home with just our family, teaching her the love of a family and what it means to truly trust and know a mom and a dad that would actually do ANYTHING for her!!! By the time we got to our amazing hotel I was spent. I broke down and just needed a good cry. This is hard at times and would be so much easier if we weren't so far from all those who can help us. Man have I been praying today!!  We do love Guangzhou though. It will be much easier for us to get around and they have a Mc Donalds. Not my favorite place back home but we got two double cheeseburger value meals for just under $5, not a piece but for both!! It was total comfort food! And despite all the hard parts of the day we always manage to get some sweet smiles and laughs out of this sweet little girl.
Praying when she awakens from her nap she will be refreshed and in a good mood.



Ellery in front of one of the Christmas displays at the hotel. I did not realize that the Chinese celebrate Christmas with so many decorations. They are gorgeous and everywhere!



If China is not afraid to say Merry Christmas, why are we?



Waiting for our rough, high anxiety flight, thank goodness it was only 1 hour!!



Goodbye to Nanning!


 Hello Guangzhou, it is good to see you!


I cracked up at my eyes in this picture. The traffic here is indescribable, just crazy.
I usually coped by just not looking out the window. In this picture I apparently did. And BTW we are not terrible parents, there is no such thing as a car sear in China. Can you believe that?


Part of the view from our hotel window in Guangzhou. That tree is HUGE!!




* Congee is a porridge made from rice cooked until it is very mushy. They often add other flavors to it such as pork. It is a staple here for young children. My guess is now that she is being exposed to so many new foods the ole congee just ain't looking so good anymore. :0)

8 people joined the party:

Sharon said...

Sweet friend, you will be home soon. We are praying for all of you!

Tammi said...

Thank you sooooo much for taking time to post. Every morning the first thing I do is read it! Praying that today will be better for all of you... And that you get some much needed rest. Love you & miss you bunches!! Counting the days......

Suzanne Haynie said...

I hope that all of you are sleeping soundly as I write this and that, with rest and the comfort of a familiar place, Saturday is a MUCH better day. My heart goes out to you, and if all the hoping, praying, and wishing I can do can make a difference, you got 'em!

One more thing: the picture of you holding Ellery in the car--your expression is priceless, btw--REALLY took me back. There were no car seats (or seatbelts for that matter) in Russia either--the traffic was crazy and the drivers were lunatics. And I had my beautiful, 17 month old baby held tight on my unseatbelted lap. Steve loves to tell the story about how his characteristically shy and softspoken wife spoke out while whizzing through the streets of Moscow (on sheets of ice) on our way to the US Embassy with Misha. When our driver started swearing loudly about the "crazy people" walking in the streets of Moscow, I evidently responded by noting that maybe the crazy people wouldn't walk in the streets if the crazy drivers didn't drive on the sidewalks (we were zooming past storefronts at the time, half on the sidewalk and half off). I don't have a picture of my face at the time, but I can guess that my expression was just like yours!

Take care and enjoy Guangzhou! Big hug!

Suzanne Haynie said...

I forgot to mention that it looks like Ellery's hair--the bangs and top especially--have already grown out a bit. So precious!

Crystal Leaphart said...

So hard to hear of your hards times right now! Know that when you all get home Ellery will learn the meaning of true love and family. Know that there are so many people back home praying for you all! Love you and look forward to tomorrows post! First thing every morning!

Anonymous said...

Praying for you all! Annie and Millie have been enjoying the pictures and can say her name! We would love to have a playdate as soon as you are up for it. I'm sorry this process has been tough, but hopefully when you get her back with her family the bonding will go quickly. She is just darling! Beth

Football and Fried Rice said...

I truly think that the celebrating of Chinese is "trendy" and only done among the young people. They even exchange gifts. Its weird, Ill admit :)

SO glad you (we!) are on the last leg of this trip!! Im ready for home and my BIGS!!!!!

HUGS to you!!

Brendan and Melissa said...

Oh I remember the Nanning airport. I was SO NOT comfortable there. I don't think there was an English speaker in the whole building, which was a little unsettling. And all the "grandmas" were concerned that I didn't have my kids bundled up enough. (Yes - inside!) I've been able to read your more recent posts and see that things have gotten better. And they will continue to do so!

Everyone's adoption stories are so different. I believe these teaching "moments" are planned specifically for us by our Creator. Because He loves us - even when/if it is hard.

Meet our Bunch!

Meet our Bunch!






About Me

My Photo
Jennifer O'Cain
is trying to live beyond herself!
View my complete profile
""...once our eyes are opened,we can't pretend we don't know what to do. God,who weighs our hearts and keeps our souls, knows that we know,and holds us responsible to act."(Proverbs 24:12)

Our Daughter Lily

Our Daughter Lily
Click on her picture to hear our story.

Visitors