December 7, 2011
The Western Potty
Thank goodness the norm in America but rare here in China except in our hotel.
Will never take for granted this or toilet paper again.


The Squatty Potty

Very popular around the world and all you will see in public here in China. 
Somehow I managed to never use one
on our first trip to China. Tried to avoid at all costs this time but after eating pizza
out one night, I just could.not.wait. (get my drift). and guess what??
Didn't realize they also don't have toilet paper.
So here I am holding a two yr old, using a squatty potty in a steaming hot mall and then realize I am screwed.
Couldn't get back to the hotel fast enough.
SO....ALWAYS have tissue in your pocket, you never know when you will need it!




The Training Potty


We met Ellery on Monday at 2:30. We are told she is completely independent using the bathroom
and we were very excited about that.
Took her to the bathroom several times and she never did anything. Stayed dry all night and still nothing the next morning. Of course then my mind kicks into worst case scenario mode and I am thinking she has a blockage and can't pee. The next morning I mention it to our guide. She says probably ok maybe she is scared of Western Toilet. How can a 2 yr old hold her pee this long???
So we go to the official Adoption Ceremony the next day, the guide takes us to the squatty potty and shows me how to help her, still she does nothing. At this point she has held her pee for at least 20 hours, this can't be good for her. Right before we are about to leave she asks the Orphanage Director to take her to the bathroom. We all follow along, he does the same thing but then starts saying
shh, shh, shh and lo and behold she pees!!
Nobody ever thought to tell me that she is trained to pee when someone says shh, shh, shh.
AMAZING and works every time.
We almost have her trained to go without it.
Now we just gotta get this #2 thing down.
Her "scheduled" poop time is 8.
Not working for us.

5 people joined the party:

Sharon said...

Ooooooooh my. That was a long time for Ellery to not go to the potty. She must have been miserable!

And you. OOOOOOOOh MY. Bless your heart!!
Squatty potty fear sets in the minute we land in China. I have avoided them so far!

See you FRIDAY!!! Yay!!! I can't wait! :)

Sharon said...

Ooooooooh my. That was a long time for Ellery to not go to the potty. She must have been miserable!

And you. OOOOOOOOh MY. Bless your heart!!
Squatty potty fear sets in the minute we land in China. I have avoided them so far!

See you FRIDAY!!! Yay!!! I can't wait! :)

Crystal Leaphart said...

WOW for both of you! I can't imagine being there with no tissue! lol Poor Girl! Ellery! I can't believe she held it that long! Glad to hear things are going well though!

Beth said...

How funny that you posted this! Today, I was thinking, "Will Jennifer have to go through potty training? Wouldn't that be nice if she was already potty trained." Now I can be jealous cause Annie and Millie are not potty trained and probably won't be for some time. And 20 hours of holding it? Goodness!! Poor thing!

Tammi said...

That was very informative! Toilet paper must be a total American thing.... Spain did not have it either. Imagine Ed's surprise (and disdain) when we were out & about and he had to go!!!!! Wishing y'all safe travels. Soooo excited to meet Ellery (and hear your voice again!).

Meet our Bunch!

Meet our Bunch!






About Me

My Photo
Jennifer O'Cain
is trying to live beyond herself!
View my complete profile
""...once our eyes are opened,we can't pretend we don't know what to do. God,who weighs our hearts and keeps our souls, knows that we know,and holds us responsible to act."(Proverbs 24:12)

Our Daughter Lily

Our Daughter Lily
Click on her picture to hear our story.

Visitors