May 11, 2011
Two years ago today I met the little girl behind the picture I'd been staring at for 6 months.
Not only was she our first adoption, she was 7. I had no idea what it would be like when we walked
into the Civil Affairs office that day.
But that day we met a little girl who was no doubt scared, she was meeting two strangers who looked
nothing like her, didn't speak the same language and they were taking her far, far away from everything she has ever known.
And she was brave. She never let on that she was scared and didn't want us to know. In those first
days in China I would hear her crying softly in her sleep.
In China she rejected us, preferring to hang out with other kids in our travel group and holding hands and talking to our guide. Thankfully, I had read enough and knew that she would come around and told John to just be patient with her.
I can still remember the moment she let go. Our guide took us to the airport to depart home for the US. Lily held his hand all the way to the last gate. They had grown fond of each other over the last 10 days and our guide had actually been a huge help to us with her. She was hanging on to the last familiar
thing around her. As he bid us farewell and we walked across the line, just the three of us, she reached over and grabbed my hand and never let it go. While traveling home over the next 23 hours we started to see signs that she was ready to start attaching to us. From that moment she allowed herself to become our daughter.
Things haven't always been easy, but they have always been worth it. Over the last two years she
has fallen in love with her family and her family has fallen in love with her.
For Mothers Day Lily made me a book. She is the most thoughtful child I have ever known.
In it she wrote...
"the most important thing about my mom is that she loves me"
People I cried, no bawled when I read that.
She just wanted a family and to be loved.
Lily Kate O'Cain,
You are the most amazing blessing and God sent us the most perfect daughter ever!
We love you, Happy Gotcha Day!
Your Family
Not only was she our first adoption, she was 7. I had no idea what it would be like when we walked
into the Civil Affairs office that day.
But that day we met a little girl who was no doubt scared, she was meeting two strangers who looked
nothing like her, didn't speak the same language and they were taking her far, far away from everything she has ever known.
And she was brave. She never let on that she was scared and didn't want us to know. In those first
days in China I would hear her crying softly in her sleep.
In China she rejected us, preferring to hang out with other kids in our travel group and holding hands and talking to our guide. Thankfully, I had read enough and knew that she would come around and told John to just be patient with her.
I can still remember the moment she let go. Our guide took us to the airport to depart home for the US. Lily held his hand all the way to the last gate. They had grown fond of each other over the last 10 days and our guide had actually been a huge help to us with her. She was hanging on to the last familiar
thing around her. As he bid us farewell and we walked across the line, just the three of us, she reached over and grabbed my hand and never let it go. While traveling home over the next 23 hours we started to see signs that she was ready to start attaching to us. From that moment she allowed herself to become our daughter.
Things haven't always been easy, but they have always been worth it. Over the last two years she
has fallen in love with her family and her family has fallen in love with her.
For Mothers Day Lily made me a book. She is the most thoughtful child I have ever known.
In it she wrote...
"the most important thing about my mom is that she loves me"
People I cried, no bawled when I read that.
She just wanted a family and to be loved.
Lily Kate O'Cain,
You are the most amazing blessing and God sent us the most perfect daughter ever!
We love you, Happy Gotcha Day!
Your Family
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Meet our Bunch!
About Me
""...once our eyes are opened,we can't pretend we don't know what to do. God,who weighs our hearts and keeps our souls, knows that we know,and holds us responsible to act."(Proverbs 24:12)

1 people joined the party:
oh, sweet girl...happy adoption day, Lily!