November 2, 2009
Sweet tea is the drink of choice for most southerners. We love it and drink a lot of it. We even have contests to see who's Sweet Tea is the best. Years ago I quit making it at home. It was consumed too fast and well no one here needs all that sugar. Enter Lily. The boys decided to entertain Lily with tea parties once home. They used cold sweet tea. They created a Sweet Tea Monster. It is the only thing she will drink. This creates a problem. I still do not make sweet tea on a regular basis but then I don't have too. My daughter does. She makes sure there is ALWAYS a picture of sweet tea in the fridge. Now all my wonderful water and milk drinkers are requesting sweet tea. And worst of all, restaurants. We have always had our boys drink water when eating out. They never complained or thought any thing about it, until now. We ordered Lily sweet tea when first home because we were trying to be sensitive to all the changes she was going through. Now it is a battle. Recently the boys asked for sweet tea while eating out. We said, "no". Well as you can imagine they pointed out to us the obvious, Lily was drinking sweet tea. That day we explained to her that no longer would she get to order sweet tea when eating out. She pouted. Fast forward to the next time: we don't order Lily tea, she pouts and will not order any food. I do not give in though it is hard. We get our food and she just sits there, every few minutes she will say, "I want tea, no like water". She refuses to eat. We made it through the meal. She never touched her water but did sneak a few chips with salsa. She was mad but thankfully didn't have a tantrum like she used to (one of the reasons I kept ordering the tea was to prevent them). I hate being this way but we do have to be fair. I was thinking of the best way to handle this in the future and I had an idea: drink packets. You know the little individual drink packets you buy and mix in water. I took her to the store and let her pick one out (it should equal about 20 cents a serving) and told her that is what she will be drinking when we eat out. She seemed excited. And of course I picked out a few for the boys just to be fair ;0)

0 people joined the party: